Points of interest
Historic Haig Point
Haig Point’s history dates back nearly 400 years, to 1735 when George Haig purchased 500 acres on Daufuskie Island. Following his death, Haig Point was left to George Haig III in 1790. In 1810, Haig sold the land to the Mongin family. Between 1810 and 1823, the Mongins acquired the 600-acre Freeport Plantation. This created the nearly 1,100-acre plantation now known as Haig Point.
In 1872, construction commenced on the Lighthouse that would guide captains navigating the shifting shoals of Calibogue Sound. The Lighthouse’s 40-foot tower served mariners traveling around the northern tip of Daufuskie between 1873 to the 1930s. As part of its development initiatives, Haig Point restored the Lighthouse in the 1980s.
In 1984, International Paper bought Haig Point. Two years later, International Paper set up extensive infrastructure, restored the lighthouse and hired Rees Jones to build the initial golf course.
The Strachan Mansion at Haig Point was built in 1910 on St. Simons Island, Georgia as a summer retreat. In 1986, the new developers of the community moved the mansion to Haig Point with two barges over three days in some times treacherous waters.
In 2001, all of the common property and amenities were transferred to the members of Haig Point. Today, Haig Point is member-operated under the traditional model of a private club.
Today, the historic building features four luxurious suites, each with a tie to Haig Point’s history and beautifully themed with antique furnishings. The Mansion presents comfortably elegant accommodations for guests of residents and members. Guests can unwind from their busy day with a refreshing beverage at the bar, playing billiards with friends or simply relaxing in one of the cozy gathering places.
The General Store is located in the Mansion, stocked with necessities to tide you over between trips to the mainland. In the mornings, the Mansion offers complimentary coffee, muffins and daily newspapers. The Member hub also houses our on-site post office, and it’s a Wi-Fi hot spot for those wanting a peaceful place to catch up on work while watching dolphins frolic in the surf.
Today, The Lighthouse serves as a guesthouse with two bedrooms, kitchen, dining room and porch overlooking Calibogue Sound, it is also a sought-after venue for weddings, special events and private parties. Be sure to tour the historic Lighthouse on your visit to Haig Point!
We have a light upon our house, and it gives hope to all who sail upon the stormy seas. It is safety, a place of refuge, seen by all that as a signal that ye stand for something greater than this world, greater than us all. – James Pratt